Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Mount Rushmore

Finally I have some wi-fi, although it is far from speedy. We have been without cell phone service most of the last two weeks making it hard to write any new blog posts and to even communicate amongst ourselves when apart.

I guess that's to be expected and I should get used to it because the second half of our trip is all about National Parks and discovering the great outdoors.

We kicked off this leg with a long drive from Oklahoma through Kansas and Nebraska with my dad following us in his truck, and landed in the Black Hills of South Dakota to visit Mount Rushmore. The drive alone seemed endless, we spent most of the time watching fields of corn blowing in the breeze.

We did however pass this pretty lake as we got closer to South Dakota.


After braving strong winds upon entering SD we finally made it to camp. The kids were excited to find bunnies all throughout, they were domestic and somewhat friendly.


We would see kids everywhere chasing bunnies and feeding them, my girls were in heaven.

With my parents joining us we were a little worried it might get pretty crowded, but surprisingly all seven of us fit comfortably in our RV. We all made adjustments and made an extra effort to show each other grace. I feel so blessed to get to share this part of our journey with my mom and dad.

Since we were only in SD for two nights we spent an entire day checking out the area around Mount Rushmore.



We had to try Thomas Jefferson's recipe for vanilla ice cream.

The park was beatifully set up. We saw all four president's faces from various spots. I am glad we made the long trek up to SD to see Mount Rushmore even if it wasn't one of the original places I wanted to see.

After day two we packed up camp, said good-bye to the bunnies and headed West toward Wyoming.

To break up the drive we spent the night at Wal-Mart, which is a first for us...we usually overnight at a Cracker Barrel.

On a side note we have given Wal-Mart so much business. It is our one stop place to shop on this trip, I do miss Target though.

Next post will be about our time in beautiful Grand Tetons NP, hopefully I can share soon!











No comments:

Post a Comment