Sunday, May 18, 2014

Boston and Cape Cod

Homesickness aside we spent about 5 nights in the Cape Cod area of Massachusetts and had a wonderful time. Arriving in our campground my girls were greeted by new friends, keeping them entertained for hours. Since the girls were having a blast at camp I opted to stay with them while Justin and Blake took the train into Boston for the day.

First stop, Fenway Park, of course.

The oldest seats in any major league park.

They visited Old North Church, where two lanterns were hung to signal to Paul Revere that the British were coming by sea during the Revolutionary war.

Inside Old North Church.

Paul Revere's House

Justin and Blake also visited Harvard Yard...

it's tradition to touch the foot of John Harvard's statue.

A church in Harvard Yard.

Both Justin and Blake said they had a blast in Boston, they said it would have been hard to take the girls...lots of walking and catching trains and subways.

I had the day to myself since the girls played outside with their friends all day. They came home filthy (which means they had fun) and full of black fly bites on their necks. At first I was worried but after talking to the park manager she assured me that the bites were common and harmless.

We celebrated Mothers Day while in Cape Cod. The weather was so warm and beautiful, we decided to drive to Plymouth for dinner.

We ate at the Cabby Shack and had Chowdah. We were hoping to hear someone say "wicked good" at least once in Massachusetts.

While in Plymouth we saw Plymouth rock...guess who those shadows are in the rock.

Not far from there was the Founding Fathers Monument also featured in the movie "Monumental" by Kirk Cameron. I loved how the statue is pointing to God.

It is a gorgeous drive through the Cape Cod area...around our campground were so many cranberry bogs. It was neat to see how the fields are arranged around streams of water so that they can be flooded for the harvest causing the ripe cranberries to float to the top.

For our last day in the area we decided to bike a portion of the Cape Cod Rail Trail. CCRT is known as a beautiful bike path that runs 22 miles around the Cape. It is well taken care of and perfect for families to cruse along and take in the beauty of the lakes, trees and cranberry bogs.

We stopped several times during our bike ride...



finishing up with lunch.

Most of the time we spent relaxing around camp...we had bonfires and rode bikes. The Cape is beautiful in the spring and I am so glad we're getting to experience New England.











2 comments:

  1. Great pics...as always. Just wondering when you get to Chicago and then I think you will be heading south...will you be going south through Illinois?? If you do...which I recommend you can give your children so real family history in my home town Hillsboro, Illinois which is abut 60 miles south of Springfield. My grandparents were born in this little town which is 10 miles east of Litchfield (they were in heaven when I was born). My mother also was born in this town. It is the county (Montgomery) seat and as you go into the town you will immediately see the courthouse where I had my first job after high school. I would suggest you ask someone the way to the High School where I spent 4 years. As you go down the Main Street on the left side was a drug store where I worked when I was in High School and on the right side was a candy kitchen where I also worked. I don't believe they aren't there now. My parents and brother are all buried in this town. Your children would see a town their great, great, great great grand parents lived in during the "buggy era". This would be REAL history for them to remember. Also if you are going to travel south into ARk. etc. I would suggest you might want to take the route through southern Illinois....You would travel through West Frankfort, where my father lived and my grand parents lived also....this is where Jim was born and raised ...and then just about 5 miles south is Carbondale very close to where Jim and I lived. ....Southern Illinois is hilly and more beautiful then further
    northern Illinois. If this does not meet with your plans, I certainly would understand....but, I would love for you and the kids to see where I lived. I lived one block north behind the court house most of my school life and I went to the Lutheran Church that is on the right directly behind the courthouse when I was in school. Your pics are all so great and so glad every thing is going good for you. What a great adventure you are giving your family.....Luv you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for all the errors in my post...but, you will understand it. Also...very important...as you drive down Main street you will also see some beautiful old large homes across from these homes is a school..Edison School...if you turn left at the school (only way you can turn) and drive a couple of miles you will see a hospital on the right hand side of the street and that is where Paula was born. Use my e-mail address (jkb1@hotmail) if you have any questions. Luv ya all.

    ReplyDelete