Saturday, May 17, 2014

Homesick

Three months ago we sold our beautiful home in the Pointsettia area of Carlsbad, Ca.

The day of the move was hard, as we left our home I was heartbroken.

Since then, the busyness of our trip has been a huge distraction. I can honestly say I was only homesick a hand full of times the past three months...only sometimes when I would chat with my family or get the occasional text from a sweet friend.

It wasn't until two days ago when I heard about the San Diego fires and specifically the Pointsettia fire in Carlsbad, did all the memories of our previous life come flooding back to me.

Watching the horror of flames and smoke sweep across streets we used to walk made me feel devastated. I was upset for our former neighbors who were facing the potential loss of their homes, and also saddened by the remembrance that we've sold this home and will likely not be returning to this specific neighborhood again. So much destruction was going on in an area I adored and where we made so many beautiful memories.

We gave up so much.

I'm homesick for Carlsbad. For my family and friends. For my church. For The Dailey Method and Trader Joes. I miss Friday Group at the Smith's and Mommy Group in the morning with all those cute babies. I am homesick for Terramar beach and the salty air I would breath everyday. For Pizza Port and date nights with my hubby. I miss our beautiful home.

It finally hit me.

But the hardest thing was watching two homes at the end of our old street go up in flames.

Those families. I just can't imagine, all their memories up in smoke. I've always eyed those two houses. They were peculiar because of the ledge they were set upon. Like two houses hanging out on a limb, with spectacular views from the front, side and back. We would drive by them everyday, walk by them on our evening walks.

What surprises me the most is that the fire did not sweep around to the back side of our old home. We were also set upon a ledge overlooking North County with lots of brush to fuel a fire.

The view from our old backyard.

We would eat here often.

The past few days have been very emotional and I know my friends and family back home must be exhausted. I pray that these feelings of homesickness fade fast, we still have a long road ahead. Until then I am praying for those affected by the fires and that things would get back to normal quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment