Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ft. De Soto See You Again

Remember the picture I posted about our campsite in Largo? The one in my last blog post with the beautiful tree lined street?

That same night as we were headed to bed we all commented on the fact that we smelled campfire. No big deal. A few minutes later we opened up the window in our back room to let some air in, looked out and saw that the base of a huge oak tree in the camp site behind our coach was on fire. No one was around. Justin raced to dump water on the tree and successfully put it out.

Apparently someone lit the fire and left?! Really? I could just imagine this park going up in flames and all the while we are packed in like sardines, many of us using our Rv's as full time homes, with no way to evacuate with them. That night I couldn't sleep. On top of that the next day a lady walking by told us we should keep our bikes locked up because bikes here have been known to go missing. Sad.

We are traveling with our precious kiddos and our home, we need to be cautious but at the same time I don't want to live in fear. We ended up talking to the camp manager and she took care of the matter quickly, reassured us and made us feel better. Today we met some sweet neighbors and I am starting to relax a little about staying here.

On a brighter note we went to the most amazing state park.

Ft. De Soto, FL

Most days we have a blast exploring and finding new adventures, but some days are so memorable they rank high in my book of "things to do again"...

and I would love to return to this protected island full of wild life and soft sandy beaches.
The kids loved the sand bar...it made a perfect little pool for them to play in.
Lots of wildlife.
Me in my happy place, thanking God for blessing our day.

We took a tour of the actual fort, not anything spectacular, but still fun to check out.

You can even camp with an Rv on the Island...but make your reservations in advance, there was no room by the time we wanted to check in.

We usually end every day with the pool, that's how I bathe my kids. Haha, kidding. Somewhat.

Still in Largo...praying our night is uneventful. Tomorrow Legoland?

4 comments:

  1. So funny.... my husband and I, and our 3 boys started traveling full time almost a year ago last May. When we sold our house and was learning how to live in our RV, we lived at Vacation Village in Largo for 2 months. And no worries, we never had anything stolen- left our bikes out all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori, we have meet some great people in Largo. I'm always a little apprehensive when we arrive someplace new, especially with what happened, but we are enjoying our stay now:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's better. We launched our journey from there- well, St Petersburg- and are having a blast!! We are in California now- Riverside. Enjoying the Southern California sunshine:)

      Delete
  3. My hubby and I grew up in that area, we moved to Carlsbad, ca only a few years ago. Funny we have switched places! Do you have a blog I can follow?

    ReplyDelete