Saturday, April 26, 2014

First Day Discovery in DC

Humbled, overwhelmed, and grateful are just some of the words I would use to describe our first day in Washington, DC. I am ashamed to admit that I didn't really want to visit DC at all, it was just a stop on our trip that I thought would be good for the kids. Not caring much for museums, which is what I thought DC was all about, I was taken off guard by all the amazing places to see. I fell in love with the monuments and memorials built to help us remember such bravery and courage. It wasn't until I actually experienced DC did I finally grasp the significance of it all.

Our first stop of the day was Arlington Cemetery.
Over 400,000 service members, veterans and their families are honored there, including Justin's Grandpa who served in Korea and was career Navy. He passed away from MS 27 years ago.

We stood in awe and reverence for those who risked their lives for our country as we watched the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldiers.

The landscape was serene and peaceful.

Since it is spring most of the trees were in full bloom, creating a beautiful pink canopy for us to walk through.

We found Grandpa Vogel's site and placed a few of the pink flowers around.

Then we traced the inscription so we could send it back to Justin's Dad and Grandma Pete.

Arlington was the perfect place to start our DC tour, the experience gave me a new outlook on how our time should be spent here. Grateful for our country and the men and women that helped make it what it is...pretty much sums it up.

Since the time at Arlington only took up our morning we decided to walk across the bridge over the Potomac river and check out the Lincoln Memorial. The walk was longer than expected, but it was worth it.

Layne was so excited to see the building on the back of a penny in real life.


What I loved about our day is that we did everything without rushing. Here we sat on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and took in the sights of the Washington Monument...the kids spent some time drawing what they saw and we all relaxed and enjoyed the view.

Next to the Lincoln Memorial was the Vietnam Memorial...
all those names, it's just overwhelming.

We ended our day with the Iwo Jima Memorial and took a drive through Georgetown.

Exhausted...emotionally and physically, but I am looking forward to this week in DC more than I thought I ever would.








2 comments:

  1. Great post - I especially liked the comment "...seeing the building on the back of a penny". :)

    ReplyDelete